Frequently asked questions

Am I covered if I am pregnant?

Yes, cover is included for pregnancy. However it relates solely for complications that arise during the course of the pregnancy because being pregnant is not considered to be a medical condition. This means that only certain circumstances that are caused by complications in a pregnancy are covered. It is really important that you check this cover in the policy wording. The appropriate section can be found in the Meaning of Words under Complications of Pregnancy and Childbirth.

What is a policy Excess?

Most sections of the policy carry an Excess. You have agreed to pay towards a claim under each section of the policy. The amount may vary depending on the level of cover you have chosen. It is applicable per person per section. The Excess will be reduced to NIL if you have used an EHIC (formerly E111) to reduce your medical expenses bill. However if you are 65 years of age or older and have purchased Standard or Premier cover levels then the policy excess will increase to £200 for Standard cover and £150 for Premier cover.

What is a Pre-existing Medical Condition?

For the purposes of this insurance, a pre-existing medical condition is considered to be:

  1. 1. Any medical condition where you have been prescribed medication, including repeat prescriptions, or received treatment or attended a GP or a specialist as an outpatient or inpatient in the last 2 years or for which you are currently on a waiting list for treatment or investigation.
  2. 2. Any terminal illness or any heart, heart-related or circulatory condition; or any respiratory condition; any stress, anxiety, depression or any other psychological condition; any cancerous condition; or any cerebral condition at any time.

If you have any pre-existing medical conditions please call 0333 300 2160 to assess if you are eligible to obtain full cover for the condition(s) disclosed.

For more information, please refer to the "Important Conditions Relating To Health" section of the policy wording.

How many children can I insure on a Family policy?

The maximum number of dependent children under 18 living at home is 4 on a family policy.

What are the Terms and Conditions?

Terms and Conditions are another expression for the Policy Wording. You need to read the Policy Wording carefully because it sets out the cover that you have purchased and also the conditions that you need to meet in order to make a claim.

What are my cancellation rights?

If after reading the policy wording you decide the terms of the insurance contract do not meet your requirements you can, WITHIN 14 DAYS OF THE DATE YOU RECEIVED YOUR DOCUMENTS, return it for a full refund. No refunds will be given for policies cancelled outside 14 days.

What Winter Sports are covered?

Provided you have paid the Winter Sports upgrade, and you are aged 70 or under , you are covered for: ski equipment, piste closure, avalanche cover, ski hire, ski pack costs up to the limits shown on the summary of cover. Activities covered are:

Both Single Trip and Annual Multi-trip Policies include the following activities on a non-competitive and non-professional basis during your trip when have paid the appropriate additional premium:

  • Bob Sleighing
  • Cross Country Skiing
  • Curling
  • Dog Sledging
  • Dry Slope Skiing
  • Luging
  • Mono-Skiing
  • Skiing, Big Foot
  • Ski Bobbing
  • Snow Boarding
  • Snow Cat Skiing
  • Snow Kiting
  • Snow Mobiling
  • Snow Shoeing
  • Skiing
  • Tobagganing

You will not be covered for any claims arising directly or indirectly when engaging in or practising for the following sports and activities:

  • Heli boarding
  • Heli skiing
  • Ice speedway
  • Ski acrobatics
  • Ski jumping
  • Ski racing
  • Ski stunting

You are not covered when engaging in organised competitions or when skiing against local authoritative warning or advice.

What do I do if I need medical assistance when travelling?

For policies purchased after 13 November 2016, in case of a medical emergency please phone 0343 658 0303, quoting Leisure Guard.

For policies purchased after 12 November 2014, in case of a medical emergency please phone 0203 362 2410 , quoting Leisure Guard.

You must contact the medical emergency assistance team as soon as possible before incurring expenses over £500.

You must retain receipts for medical and additional costs incurred and the excess must be paid by you at the time of treatment.

Note: If you are physically unable to contact the assistance team then you or someone designated by you must contact the team within 48 hours.

Can we travel independently on our Couple/Family travel insurance policy?

On a couple or family policy each insured person can travel independently of the policy holder.

How often can I travel on an Annual Multi-trip policy?

The policy lasts for the complete 12 months, and you can take as many trips/holidays as you wish during the year. Any individual trip or holiday must not last longer than 31 days (if the the appropriate additional premium is paid you can extended this to 45, 62 or 93 days if you are under 65 years of age, or 45 days if you are aged between 65 and 75 years.

If You are between 76 and 79 years old at the commencement of the Period of Insurance the maximum number of consecutive days You can spend abroad is 31 consecutive days (reduced to 24 days for Zone 5).

If a trip is for a longer period you will need to purchase a Single Trip policy for that particular trip. Winter Sports cover, Golf, Timeshare, Wedding and Cruise Cover are available at an additional premium. Please contact Leisure Guard on 0333 300 2160.

What is the difference between Cover levels?

There are three different levels of cover offered under this policy.

Standard offers the most basic level of cover with the highest excesses.

Premier cover provides a wider range of cover with higher levels of protection for you and requires you to pay a lower excess.

Premier Plus cover offers the highest level of protection.

As a result Premier Plus cover is the more expensive choice however ensures that you have the best protection.

How is my policy delivered?

Your policy can be emailed directly to your email address shortly after being issued. Please note that some internet providers filter our automated e-mails as SPAM so please check your SPAM/junk folder if the e-mail has not been received. If you have any difficulties receiving your policy documents, please call us on 0333 300 2160.

Do you offer cover for over 65s?

Yes. The maximum age for our policy is 79 for a Single Trip or an Annual Multi-Trip at the commencement of the period of insurance. NOTE that the maximum age to add Winter Sports cover is 70 when you buy the policy.

Do you cover non-UK residents?

No, we only offer cover to residents of the United Kingdom.

Can I go scuba diving when travelling?

Scuba diving to a depth of 30 metres (within organisers guidlines) is covered. The policy can be upgraded to include scuba diving to a depth of 50 metres for an additional premium.

Can children purchase cover if they are under the age of 18?

Yes, but they must pay the adult premium for their cover and must comply with any airline rules in terms of travelling as a minor. The policy can only be issued by calling Leisure Guard on 0333 300 2160.

What products do you offer?

  • Single Trip Policies for trips up to 365 days.
  • Annual Multi Trip policies with maximum trip duration of 31 days (if you are aged between 76 and 79 then the number of days is reduced to 24 days for Zone 5).
  • Annual Multi Trip policies with maximum trip duration of 45 (if you are aged between 65 and 75 years).
  • Annual Multi Trip policies with maximum trip duration of 45, 62 or 93 days (if you are under 65 years of age). For Individuals, Couples and Families (including Single Parent Families). Including optional covers for Winter Sports, Golf, Wedding and Business cover.

What credit/debit cards do you accept?

We accept Visa, MasterCard, Maestro, Visa Electron and Delta.

What happens if my bag is stolen with all my travel documents and money whilst I am travelling?

You must report theft or losses to the police or relevant authority within 24 hours of the event and obtain a written report. These reports are the only proof that the loss/theft did actually occur. Without them the insurer cannot make any payment to you. If you leave luggage and personal items unattended in a public place then we cannot be held responsible for any resultant claim. You should always take reasonable care to look after your property and treat it as if it were not insured. There is no cover for cash or valuables left in an unattended vehicle at any time, even if the vehicle is locked.

Are my glasses covered?

Yes, there is cover for glasses on our policies, they are included as valuables.

When do I need to purchase my travel insurance?

At the time of booking your travel arrangements to make sure that you have cancellation cover in place for that particular trip. If your travel arrangements change then you must call Leisure Guard immediately on 0333 300 2160. You must be able to provide the correct Period of Insurance on your documentation in the event of a claim.

What do I need to take on holiday with me?

Please ensure that you take a copy of your certificate of insurance and a copy of the full policy wording - these documents contain important numbers that you may require whilst travelling.

Are my golf clubs covered?

Yes, up to £1,000 for Standard, £1,500 for Premier and £2,000 for Premier Plus policies in total with a Single Club or Item of Golf Equipment limit of £500, provided you have paid the additional premium for the Golf Cover extension

Am I covered for cancellation?

If you have paid the appropriate premium, you are covered for cancellation of your holiday for the reasons stated in the policy wordings. You may be able to claim (subject to the policy terms and conditions) for any travel or accommodation costs that you have either already paid or are contracted to pay, that you cannot reclaim from the tour operator.

What is an EHIC (formally E111)?

If you intend travelling to European Union (EU) countries, the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland. We would advise you to obtain a Form CM1 from your local main Post Office. On returning this, duly completed, to the main Post Office you will be issued with a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which will entitle you to certain free or reduced cost health arrangements in the EU, EEA or Switzerland. (Full details are given in the DSS Leaflet No. SA40).

NB: In the event that you have used the EHIC to effectively reduce the cost or your treatment or medicines; then you will not have to pay an Excess in relation to any medical related claims.

What vaccinations do I need?

You should check with your doctor as soon as possible, your doctor will be best advised to tell you what vaccinations are required, if any.

Can I change my policy?

You can change or upgrade your policy at any time as long as you have not made a claim. Please contact Leisure Guard on 0333 300 2160 for amendments and upgrades.

Which Special Sports and Activities are covered at no additional premium?

Abseiling (within organisers guidelines)

  • Aerobics
  • Angling
  • Archery
  • Athletics
  • Badminton
  • Banana boating
  • Baseball
  • Basketball
  • Board sailing
  • Bowling
  • Bowls
  • Bungee jumping (within organiser’s guidelines)
  • Canoeing (up to grade 2 rivers only)
  • Climbing (on a climbing wall only)
  • Cricket
  • Curling
  • Cycling (excl tours)
  • Deep sea fishing
  • Fell walking
  • Fishing
  • Football
  • Glacier walking
  • Gliding (no cover for crewing or piloting)
  • Golf
  • Gymnastics
  • Handball
  • Heptathlon
  • Hiking/trekking/walking (below 4,000 metres)
  • Horse riding (excl. competitions/racing/jumping/hunting)
  • Hot air ballooning (organised pleasure rides only)
  • Ice skating
  • Indoor climbing (on climbing wall)
  • Kayaking (up to grade 2 rivers only)
  • Kite surfing
  • Marathon running
  • Motorcycling (up to 125cc)
  • Mountain biking (excl Downhill)
  • Netball
  • Football/Soccer (noncompetitive)
  • Organised safari without guns
  • Orienteering
  • Overland trips
  • Parascending over water
  • Pony trekking
  • Racket ball
  • Rackets
  • Rambling
  • Rap jumping (within organiser’s guidelines)
  • Ringos
  • Roller skating/blading (wearing pads & helmets)
  • Rounders
  • Rowing (except racing)
  • Running
  • Safari trekking in a vehicle (must be organised tour)
  • Safari trekking on foot (must be organised tour)
  • Sailboarding
  • Scuba diving to 18 metres
  • Sea kayaking
  • Skateboarding (wearing pads and helmets)
  • Sledging (pulled by horse or reindeer as a passenger)
  • Snooker, pool and billiards
  • Snorkelling
  • Softball
  • Squash
  • Surfing
  • Swimming
  • Table tennis
  • Ten pin bowling
  • Tennis
  • Tubing
  • Tug of war
  • Volleyball
  • Wakeboarding
  • Water polo
  • Water skiing
  • White water rafting (within organiser’s guidelines)
  • Windsurfing
  • Zorbing

Which Special Sports and Activities are covered at no additional premium but where there is no cover in respect of any Personal Accident and Personal Liability sections?

  • Camel riding
  • Catamaran sailing (if qualified)
  • Clay pigeon shooting
  • Dinghy Sailing
  • Go Karting (within organiser's guidelines)
  • Jet boating (no racing)
  • Jet Skiing (no racing)
  • Paint Balling (wearing eye protection)
  • Rifle range shooting
  • Sailing / yachting inshore (recreational, no racing)
  • Shooting (within organiser's guidelines)
  • Small bore target shooting (within organiser's guidelines)
  • War games (wearing eye protection)
  • Yachting (if qualified)
  • Zip Lining

Which Special Sports & Activities are covered with an additional premium?

  • American football
  • Climbing up to 4000 meters
  • Dry slope skiing
  • Endurance tests
  • Fives
  • Hiking / trekking / walking (above 5000 meters)
  • Hockey
  • Lacrosse
  • Organised safari with guns
  • Outdoor endurance events
  • Parascending - over land
  • Rugby
  • Sand dune surfing / skiing
  • Scuba diving between 18m - 30m (if BSAC, PADI, DIWA, SSI or SAA member)
  • Speed skating
  • Street Hockey (wearing pads and helmets)
  • Summer tobogganing
  • Trampolining
  • White water canoeing (up to grade 4 only)
  • Yachting, boating, sailing and rowing (only inland waters or coastal waters within 12 mile limit from land)

Which Special Sports & Activities are covered with an additional premium, but where there is no cover in respect of any Personal Accident and Personal Liability sections?

  • Canyonin
  • Cycle Touring
  • Fencing (within organiser’s guidelines)
  • Gaelic football
  • High Diving
  • Hurling
  • Ice Hockey
  • Land Yachting
  • Martial Arts (Training Only)
  • Micro Lighting
  • Motor Rallying
  • Parachuting
  • Paragliding
  • Paraseiling
  • Polo
  • Rafting, canoeing, kayaking up to Grade 4
  • Rock Climbing
  • Rock Scrambling
  • Sailing/yachting inshore (recreational, crewing, no racing)
  • Sailing/yachting offshore (recreational, no racing)
  • Ski Diving
  • Triathlon – Road Bike & Iron Man
  • Work Abroad

Which Special Sports and Activities are not covered under any circumstances?

  • Adventure racing
  • Base jumping
  • Biathlon
  • Big game hunting
  • Black water rafting
  • BMX riding
  • Bouldering
  • Boxing
  • Cave tubing
  • Caving/potholing
  • Climbing over 4,000 metres
  • Cycle racing
  • Cycle cross
  • Downhill Mountain Biking
  • Drag racing
  • Flying (except passengers in licensed passenger carrying aircraft)
  • Free mountaineering
  • Hang gliding
  • Harness racing
  • High diving (over 5 metres)
  • Hunting (fox/drag)
  • Jousting
  • Judo
  • Karate
  • Kendo
  • Modern pentathlon
  • Motor cycle racing
  • Motor racing
  • Mountaineering over 4,000 metres
  • Parapeting
  • Power boat racing
  • Power lifting
  • Professional sports of any kind
  • Quad biking
  • River bugging
  • Rodeo
  • Roller hockey
  • Shark diving (in cage)
  • Speed trials/time trials
  • Water ski jumping
  • Weight lifting
  • Wrestling

Will this policy cover me if my Trip has been Dynamically Packaged?

Yes, cover is provided irrespective of how your Trip / holiday has been packaged together.

What is Timeshare cover?

Timeshare cover is a stand alone policy which offers protection if you need to cancel your timeshare holiday or cut your timeshare holiday short. It is not a travel insurance policy and therefore should you need cover for medical emergency, personal possessions or more then you will need to take out a separate travel insurance policy.